Try out this super QUICK healthy Sticky Chicken Stir Fry recipe which has plenty of veggies in it and your whole family will love too. Made in about 15 minutes.
1 tablespoon of rice bran oil or 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
2 chicken breasts (without skin), cut into strips
2 tablespoons of cashew nuts (plain)
1 yellow pepper, stalk removed, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 red pepper, stalk removed, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 green pepper, stalk removed, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 red onion, peeled and cut into quarters
2 x 75g or fresh spinach leaves or 1 large bag
For the sauce
2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons of tamari sauce (better than soy as there is less salt and wheat)
2cm x 2cm chunk of ginger (or a good sized chunk)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
wholegrain basmati rice to serve
How to make
1. Put the rice (usually 3/4 cup of uncooked rice per person) into a pan and cover with water. Place on a moderate heat and bring to the boil, then simmer according to the packet instructions. Whilst the rice is cooking we'll make the sauce.
2. Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
3. In a frying pan, heat the rice bran oil or coconut oil over a moderate heat until very hot.
4. Add the chicken, cashew nuts, onion and pepper and stir continuously until the chicken is cooked and the nuts are a light brown.
5. Pour over the sauce and add a little water (about 50ml) and lower the heat and simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat, stir through the spinach.
7. Check the rice to see if it is cooked, this is usually around 15 - 20 minutes and serve the sticky chicken stir fry with the rice.